EXAM CERTIFICATION and LICENSURE FUND (EXCEL)Providing funding for MCAT, and mental health professional candidates for exam fees and preparation courses.
TWO DYNAMIC SUBFUNDS. ONE PURPOSE.
The Examination, Certification,and Licensure Fund (EXCEL) is a program designed to provide vital financial assistance to individuals pursuing careers in medicine and mental health. What sets EXCEL apart is our commitment to recognizing and supporting the two unique journeys of medical and mental health professional students. The goal is to increase the pipeline of culturally competent healthcare professionals.
1. Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) Candidates Subfund: This fund is dedicated to the founder’s late sister-in-law, Dr. Sandra McGruder. Read more about Dr. McGruder below. It is tailored to provide financial support for the MCAT and preparation courses. We understand the financial challenges on the path to becoming a medical professional, and our subfund aims to alleviate the burden, ensuring that aspiring doctors can focus on excelling in their MCAT without financial constraints.
Embarking on a medical career is an ambitious journey that begins with the MCAT. Recognizing the financial challenges associated with this essential step, EXCEL aims to alleviate the burden by offering funding for the current cost of the MCAT exam and exam preparation fees (up to $1500). We believe that every aspiring doctor should have the opportunity to excel in their MCAT without financial barriers hindering their path to success.
2. Mental Health Professionals (MHP) Subfund: Committed to the well-being of our communities, the Mental Health Professionals Subfund is specifically crafted for individuals pursuing certifications and licensures in the mental health field. From psychologists to counselors, we recognize the importance of removing financial barriers, allowing aspiring mental health professionals to concentrate on their studies and clinical training.
Aspiring mental health professionals play a pivotal role in fostering well-being and healing within our communities. Whether you’re a psychologist, counselor, social worker, or psychiatrist, we understand the financial demands that come with professional examinations. , EXCEL aims to alleviate the burden by offering funding for the current cost of the exam and exam preparation fees (up to $1500). Our fund seeks to empower and invest in the future of mental health practitioners, ensuring they can focus on their studies and clinical training without the added stress of financial constraints.
Whether you’re a future doctor shaping the future of healthcare or a mental health advocate dedicated to making a positive impact, EXCEL is here to support your journey.
Apply for EXCEL today and let your journey to excellence begin!
WHY REPRESENTATION MATTERS
- Increased Trust and Communication. A study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) found that Black patients are more likely to share their concerns and engage in open dialogue with Black physicians.
- Reduced Health Disparities. Having a Black physician has been associated with a reduction in health disparities among Black patients. A study published in the Journal of the National Medical Association found that Black physicians were more likely to provide preventive care and address health disparities in their Black patients.
- Improved Access to Care. Research published in the American Economic Journal: Applied Economics has shown that Black patients, particularly those in underserved communities, have increased access to care when they have a Black physician. Black physicians are more likely to practice in areas with higher Black populations, which can improve access to healthcare services for Black patients.
- Patient Satisfaction. A study in the Journal of General Internal Medicine found that Black patients were more satisfied with their healthcare experiences when they had a Black physician.
- Cultural Competence. Black physicians may have a better understanding of the cultural and social factors that can impact the health of Black patients. This cultural competence can lead to more personalized and effective healthcare recommendations and interventions.
- Mortality Rates. According the the Tubman Center for Health & Freedom, for every 10% increase in Black primary care physicians, life expectancy increased by one month, and there was a 1.2% decrease in disparity of all-cause mortality between Black and White community members.
The dr. sandra mcgruder medical college admission test (MCAT) resource Fund
Empowering the Future of Medicine
The Dr. Sandra McGruder MCAT Fund aims to break down financial barriers by providing financial support for MCAT preparatory courses and the MCAT fee to Black students pursuing their dreams of becoming doctors.
Why Do We Need this Fund
Did you know that Black people in areas with more Black primary care physicians live longer, according to a new national analysis that provides the strongest evidence yet that increasing the diversity of the medical workforce may be key to ending deeply entrenched racial health disparities.
A recent JAMA study links a higher prevalence of Black doctors to longer life expectancy and lower mortality in Black populations.
Diversity in medicine is not just a goal; it’s a necessity. Studies have shown that a diverse healthcare workforce leads to better patient care and improved health outcomes for all communities. By supporting the Dr. Sandra McGruder, MD MCAT Fund, you are contributing to a brighter and healthier future for everyone.
What This Fund is Used For.
The Dr. Sandra McGruder MCAT Fund is committed to carrying forward Dr. McGruder’s vision of a more diverse and inclusive medical community. The core objective is to provide Black students with the resources they need to excel on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).
- MCAT Preparation Courses: We offer scholarships that cover the cost of MCAT preparatory courses, ensuring that aspiring medical students have access to the best resources for success.
- MCAT Exam Fee Coverage: Applying to medical school is a costly endeavor, and we understand the financial burden it can place on students. Our fund will also cover the expense of the MCAT exam itself, alleviating some of the financial stress.
It Takes Teamwork.
We are proud to announce our intention to collaborate with the Medical Society of Eastern PA (MSEP). Dr. McGruder was not only a distinguished physician but also a long-time member and president of MSEP, and she deeply respected the organization’s commitment to advancing Black physicians. MSEP will be the administrator of funds for deserving candidates.
It should be noted that MSEP has its own initiative, the MSEP MCAT Prep Academy dedicated to providing workshops and mentoring for new medical students, aligning perfectly with the goals of the Dr. Sandra McGruder MCAT Fund. We believe that our partnership with MSEP will not only strengthen the impact of our fund but also ensure the funds are administered with the utmost integrity and expertise. Together, we will continue to uphold Dr. McGruder’s values and create a lasting impact on the future of medicine. We invite you to join us in this remarkable journey of empowerment, diversity, and inclusion in the medical field.
About Dr. Sandra McGruder, MD
Dr. Sandra McGruder was a trailblazer in the medical community. She dedicated her life to providing compassionate care to underserved communities and was a fierce advocate for equal access to quality healthcare. Dr. McGruder believed that diversity in medicine was essential to addressing healthcare disparities and improving patient outcomes. Discover more about her amazing contributions to medicine.
Support the Fund: We invite you to be a part of this meaningful initiative. Your contribution, whether big or small, can make a significant impact on the lives of aspiring Black medical students. Your support is invaluable as we work to create a more diverse and inclusive future in medicine.